To provide all residents with open access to informational opportunities which stimulate and facilitate literacy, provide popular and quality materials, effective technology, as well as continue to meet the educational, cultural, and recreational needs of its patrons.
Wharton Public Library will be an approachable, vital center of knowledge for all its residents. The institute will provide positive learning and leadership for all in fostering excitement in the process of discovery, as well as reflect the diverse and dynamic spirit of Wharton Borough.
The Wharton library dates back to May 1891 when the Luxemburg Library Association was organized by the Ross & Baker Silk Mfg. Co. and its employees. The company furnished a room, and 200 members agreed to contribute 10 cents a month to purchase books for their library. Soon 700 books were in the collection.
In 1896 the company needed the room that was holding the library books, so for the next three years the books were held in trust by various members at their homes. In 1899, Wharton Borough incorporated the library, making it public.
In 1905, the library moved to the second-floor room of Borough Hall, located on West Central Avenue, and the following year the Board of Trustees of the public library was created.
In November 1976 the president of the Wharton School Board presented the mayor with the deed to the Potter School property, site of the Wharton Public Library. The following year the Library's Board of Trustees received a federal public works grant of $467,000. Since April 1978 when the library building was dedicated, the library has been an integral part of the community.
The library has a main level and a basement meeting-room area, as well as a mezzanine for display of local art works.