The Moore Memorial Library District strives to provide materials and services that will support the education of the people of the district, with special attention given to the Preschool through High School ages. The staff and board feel that recreational reading is also a necessary feature of this library, for the enjoyment and entertainment of all ages.
The Moore Memorial Library was started from a donation from Sadie Moore Woodburn in memory of her parents. The library was opened to the public on September 11, 1942, with Mrs. Jim Mill as the first librarian.
The library serves the people of Canoe Creek Township in Rock Island County, IL. The library was converted from a township library to a district library in January 1987. Several attempts have been made to expand the borders of the library district, however the borders
remain the same as Canoe Creek Township.
From an article in the Port Byron Globe, November 12, 1942: "Dedication Program To Be Given at Library Building.
The building now completed is looked upon with pride by the citizens of the community. The building is adequate in every respect for the needs that will be made upon it. Entering from the front hall, doors lead to the book room where ample shelving space is provided, the storage closet, furnace room and rest rooms. Large French doors lead to the spacious reading room which is well lighted with windows to the east, south and west, with fluorescent lightening for evening use."
It would be interesting to see what the author of this article would think if they could see the library now. The ample shelving is full, the storage closet is bulging at the seams, and many shelves have been added to the spacious reading room as well as a row of computers, a television and microfilm reader.