The original library board convened on March 27, 1900 on the second floor of City Hall. In 1903, notice was received that Andrew Carnegie was providing a grant of $10,000 for a public library building. The new library opened for business on November 11, 1904. In 1975, the public library combined with the school library to better serve the community. The old Carnegie Library was then used as the Pipestone Senior Citizens building. In January 2003, the community/school library moved into its new home in the Pipestone Area School building. Renamed the Meinders Community Library, it offers public reading areas, meeting rooms, more computer access, a coffee bar and easy access to over 27,000 books and many other materials.