The Independence County Library is located on the first floor of the Jesse B. Carpenter Building at 368 East Main Street, Batesville, Arkansas. In 1933 the P.T.A. and Women's Clubs opened a library in the Batesville High School for adults and children and in 1948 the Independence County Library was formally established. The library moved to the current location in 1977 and provides library services to the residents of Independence County. The library is governed by a five member library board.