The Hardtner Public Library was organized October 8, 1913, by a group of citizens, known as the Hardtner Library Association. A membership fee of $1.00 was charged each year and was used to purchase books. The library has had 3 locations the present building being donated by Forest Ohlson.
In 1939, as a project sponsored by the Y.W.C.A, we borrowed 50 books from the Kansas Traveling Library at Topeka. The Y.W.C.A. was instrumental in the purchase of books and remodeling projects. In 1975 a Friends of the Library Group was organized and after it disbanded, through the use of their funds the current Library was remodeled. In 1991 we received the Outstanding Small Public Library Award.
In 1974 the Hardtner School consolidated with the Kiowa and Hazelton schools. Then the Tornado room came into existence. The Tornado Room houses the history of the Hardtner School through the years of 1922 to 1974. This includes pictures, trophies, and year books. If you would like more information or have historical items that would enhance this collection contact Della Trotter at 296-4522. This collection is maintained by Friends of Library Members.