Attempts to establish library service in Cooperstown began almost as soon as the town was founded. Collections were found in many early homes with reading rooms established for a period of time. Later, the State Library sent out traveling library collections to be circulated. In 1926, the Congregational Church had such a collection. For a time, the Evangelical Lutheran Church maintained a small lending library. This was a permanent collection and most of the books were donated.