The Greenville-Butler County Library was opened in 1932 by the ladies of the Greenville Study Club and continued to provide library services for the community until 1969. At that time the Greenville City Council agreed to provide library service for the citizens of Greenville and assumed oversight of the existing library building and collection. In 1985, the City of Greenville and the Butler County Commission established a county-wide library Board of Trustees and created today’s library which serves all of Butler County.
In 1992 – thanks to the support and contributions of the citizens of Butler County – the library moved from its then-home on 101 Adams St. in Greenville to a new 12,000 square-foot facility at its current address on 309 Fort Dale Rd. The library has evolved from a book-only institution into a multifaceted facility proving recreational, research and daily living resources in a variety of formats. More than 15,000 residents hold library cards and many more from across Alabama attend library programs.