In the beginning, it was the Goessel Book Club that sponsored the City Library, located at that time in a room in the Goessel City Building - current Fire Station. The Book Club met from the 1940's until 1995. Dr. A. K. Ratzlaff donated the card catalog and books were donated by Book Club members. On April 18, 1966, the first purchases were made for the library.
Goessel Public Library is not affiliated with AmericanTowns Media
Club members were scheduled to serve at the library on Saturdays between 2-5 p.m. If it was not possible for a member to serve, a high school student would be contacted and paid at the cost of 50 cents per hour. The library became a participating library in the North Central Kansas Libraries rotating book circuit with the first visit of the Book Van on Oct. 28, 1966. In June 1999, the library was moved into the new Goessel Civic Center. This move created space for a growing collection, kid's story time, adult reading area and three patron computer stations.