Now and Then... by Marjorie Travis
Gibbon Public Library is not affiliated with AmericanTowns Media
"The first library established in Gibbon happened after the closing of the Woman's Study League in the year 1909. Mrs. C.M. Blake, president and her associates decided as there remained a surplus of $45.00, they would begin to vote for a public library. Each member pledged $1.00 to be earned the following year. $245.00 was the result. The Good Samaritans added $37.00.
A popular subscription by people added $183.00. Total: $465.00.
May 10, 1910 they organized the Gibbon Public Library Association. The officers were: S.C. Bassett, president; Miss Mattie Pierce, secretary; and Miss Jessie Kean, treasurer, besides members, Mrs. J.G. Walker, L.A. Wight, W.M. Ross and W.C. Ogilvie. The Township of Gibbon donated the use of a room in the town hall for the library and Miss Mattie Pierce was librarian.
By 1912 the library was taken over by Gibbon Township at an annual township meeting and a two mill levy voted for its support. Trustees of the library were W.C. Ogilvie, R.A. Francis, L.A. Wight, Mrs. J.G. Walker and president Ray R. Cook.
On a site donated by the Village of Gibbon and funds donated by Andrew Carnegie, the library was built. This was one of the first two township libraries established in the state and the first township library erected in the state