In 1955, the first city ordinance establishing the governance and funding of the library was passed.
-Around 1961, the library board hired its first children's librarian.
- In 1963, the library building at 105 Miracle Strip Pkwy. was dedicated.
- In 1995, the library's catalog was automated to allow computer access to the collection and automated circulation.
-In 1998, the library joined the Okaloosa County Public Library Cooperative, allowing access to our collection to citizens across the county.
The Library is now located in downtown Fort Walton Beach in a spacious and modern 24,000 square foot building facing Hwy. 98. The collection includes over 60,000 items in a variety of formats to include print, electronic, dvd, cd, and tape. More than 20 computers are available for public use in both the children's and adult departments.
Open 64 hours per week, including some evenings and each Saturday, the Library is staffed by a Library Director, an Adult Services Librarian, a Children's Services Librarian, and nine full and part-time assistants.