According to Irene Jordan Nelson, the first library in Fort Jones was located in Annie Bower's home on Horn Street. In 1917, it was located in a second story room in the Fed. Men's Hall, above where the Scott Valley Bank is now located. Annie Bower was still the librarian. When the library was moved to the Native Son's Hall, Lena Autenrieth became the librarian. Later, Mattie Ames Evans became the librarian and the library was located on the corner of Main and Newton Streets. In 1934, the library was located in the old Episcopal Church on Main and Sterling Streets and Clara Stevens became the librarian. Irene Nelson became the librarian in 1941 and recalls having her daughter, Lyda Teasley, work at the library when Irene worked as a cook with the State Division of Forestry Fire Crew during fire seasons. In 1946, Ellen Mallow became the librarian until 1958, when Nellie Jean (Toots) Burton took over for the next 21 years. After Toots had been the librarian for one year, the library was moved to its current location in the Fort Jones Community Center. The Community Center was originally built as a school in 1934. The building was given to the city in the mid-1950s and the library was moved there in 1959. Some other earlier librarians have included Gretchen Kneis, Edith Gray, Nettie Reynolds, Frances Fleig, and Barbara Fink. Some of the more current librarians have included Chris Brown, Ellen Lange-Christiansen, Barbara Judd, and Julie Mitchell. Teresa Johnson is the current branch manager. These days, the Friends of the Fort Jones Library raise money to keep the library open on Tuesdays by sponsoring a Take and Bake Enchilada Sale and join with the Etna Friends by participating in the Event of the Year, a progressive dinner fundraiser.