Our Library came into existence in 1897, when a handful of Garden City women organized the Ladies Library Association (LLA). A concert was given with the admission being one book. The library opened to the public with 450 volumes.
In 1907, Garden City voted a tax levy to maintain the public library. It was then called the Garden City Public Library. At this time they had 1,500 volumes.