A Brief History of the Vale Library
Emma Humphrey Library is not affiliated with AmericanTowns Media
The Vale Public Library was officially formed in 1911, starting with a few books from the State Library and 60 volumes donated by the public at a "book shower". The book shower was an annual event for several years. The first librarian was Mrs. John Carson. On September 27, 1917, a Library Association was formed. In 1924, a County Library was formed and the Vale Public Library became one of its branches.
Around 1936, Emma Cairn Humphrey became the City Librarian. She served for many years in this capacity. The present building housing the Library at 150 A Street East was given to the City of Vale in memory of this dedicated woman to be used as a library. It was officially dedicated as the Emma Humphrey Library in 1972. Linden Atkins was librarian at that time. When she retired, Patricia Florenzen became librarian and when she retired, the current librarian, Margaret Tolman, replaced her.
The Vale Library has just undergone a major renovation. Three internet connections are now available and the children’s section has been greatly expanded. A children’s mural of best loved books has been painted in the Kid’s Korner by Beth Wolfe.