The first authorized branch of the county library was opened in South Lake Tahoe in 1948 in the home of Mr. and Mrs. Glenn Amundson. After many subsequent moves in search of more adequate housing, a new Lake Valley Branch was built on Highway 50 with funds raised from the community.
Ground breaking ceremonies were held August 2, 1958 for the new Lake Valley Branch Library. The library was build with funds donated by the local community club after it disbanded and sold their property.
After completion the building was presented to the county and was the first authorized branch in the county. South Lake Tahoe Library moved in with the help of Dick Tash and Marvin Black on March 5, 1959 with our pitiful small number of books and shelves.
The community rallied behind the campaign, even the school children donated and through the P.T.A. had cookie sales. A jar was placed on the library desk also for small donations. The campaign was successfully completed prior to the deadline.