The first recorded history of a public library in Dadeville was in 1909 when the ladies of the Worth While Club organized the Dadeville Library Association, a library for the general public with a yearly membership fee of $1 dollar. This organization collected, stored, and loaned books to members intermittently until 1938 when the outer room of Mr. Sam Oliver's law office in the County Courthouse became equipped to house the library. Miss Clyde Baker, of the National Youth Association, was hired through W.P.A. to serve as librarian.
In 1939 the library, consisting of 419 books, was moved to the Masonic building. After W.P.A. discontinued their assistance in 1942, Miss Gladys (Judy) Berry was hired by the City of Dadeville to serve as a part-time librarian with a monthly salary of $10 dollars.
In 1944 the Worth While Club started a library building fund with a $100 war bond. Other bonds were purchased from proceeds of rummage sales, card parties, silver teas, and an open-air concert given by the Maxwell Air Force Band.
In 1945 the library moved from the Masonic building to the Farm Security Administration building which was located across the street from the Baptist Church. In 1945 the library was also noted as having the highest rate of readers in the state and was selected to be visited by other library supervisors. Miss Berry received a raise and was now receiving $15 a month.
The old grammar school building became home to the library in 1950 when Lee County joined Tallapoosa County to form a regional library. The city library remained separate but cooperated in book circulation. The first library board was appointed by Mayor-Council in 1957. Members included Mrs. Lonie Sewell, Mrs. Grace Hooton, Mrs. Marion Tucker, and Mrs. Jane Wilder.
Mrs. Mary Leach became librarian in 1958 and both libraries moved in 1960 to a store building on the south side of the Tallapoosa County Courthouse. Mrs. Eleanor Penny became librarian in 1961 and Mrs. Roy Lockett in 1963.