Cushing has always had a public library. The first one was located on the top floor of the old City Hall. Several women of the Hypatia Club gathered up donations of used books and stored them at the Methodist Church until the rooms were ready at the City Hall. The books were then moved and placed on shelves. The library was operated on strictly a volunteer basis. There was no money for salaries, books or supplies. In the late 1930's the people of Cushing decided they wanted a new and modern public library.