In 1946, at the request of the Covington Business and Professional Women's Organization, the St Tammany Parish Police Jury passed an ordinance of establishment asking the State Library to place St. Tammany Parish on the waiting list for a library demonstration project. The St. Tammany Parish Library opened on June 2, 1950. It was the 32nd parish library established in Louisiana. The Covington Branch, the first branch established, opened in the Lobdell Paint Store Building at 203 New Hampshire St on June 2, 1950. The branch and library headquarters moved to 711 Boston Street in 1951 and remained there until moving to 401 North Jefferson Avenue in 1965. This 4,270 square foot building, which was renovated during the years to create more workspace, was used until 1987. During the mid 1980's, St. Tammany Parish voters approved a bond issue which funded the construction of the current building at 310 W. 21st Avenue. The new 18,252 square foot contemporary style building opened on September 23, 1987.