In 1897, a ladies club was formed in Morrilton known as the Pathfinder Club. From its very beginning, the club's primary goal was to establish a library for the citizens of the community.
This goal began in a small way as club members collected books, appointed a "librarian" from among themselves, and moved books from one member's house to another. During this time, only club members could get and use books. Now, in 2007, the Conway County Library is excited to continue to its history of serving the community by becoming automated.
The collection of about 35,000 items will become even more available to patrons as they become familiar with the new system.In the early 1900's, the Carnegie Foundation built 2,509 libraries in the English-speaking world. Of those, 1,412 were built in the United States.
Today, the Conway County Library is one of two public libraries in the state of Arkansas functioning from its original Carnegie building. It continues to grow and seek to serve the changing needs of the community.