The first Central Branch Library opened in 1940 and was located in the W.R. Edwards Store across from Central School. The branch was closed in February, 1944, because the store needed additional space. In 1945, the East Baton Rouge Parish School Board erected a building on the Central School grounds for the branch and public library service was resumed in November, 1945.
The newest facility, was designed to accommodate the Central community with a book collection of 100,000 volumes and seating for 125 patrons. The library contains public computers, meeting room for 100, which can be divided into two separate rooms for library programming, and a special Storytime room for children.