The library’s purpose is to provide opportunities for information, education, culture, and recreation through books, computers, videotapes, and other materials and library services, to the people of Clarksdale and Coahoma County. Service is available to all citizens of Coahoma County through tax support from the City of Clarksdale and the County Board of Supervisors
In 1912, Andrew Carnegie donated $10,000 to the City of Clarksdale to build a library. The city obtained a lot on the corner of First and Delta and the library opened on April 1, 1914.
In 1917 the Board of Supervisors of Coahoma County made its first appropriation to support library service. An addition was added in 1929 and in 1930 the Myrtle Hall Branch was opened. In 1969 the branch library was expanded and in December 1970 the addition to the Carnegie building was opened. The original intention was to tear down the Carnegie building and expand the new building into that space. The money ran out, hence the two disparate styles of architecture.
Over the years the library has been a leader in innovative services. In 1923 a used vehicle was purchased and converted into a bookmobile to provide delivery to the county. This was one of three such projects in the South at that time. In 1940 the library was ranked among the 52 outstanding libraries in the country. In 1957, a Life magazine article featured a stream-lined English course being taught through WKNO-TV in Memphis. In 1979, director Sid Graves started the Delta Blues Museum in the Myrtle Hall branch library. By the early 1980’s the branch library was closed and the museum was moved to the second floor of the Carnegie building. Twenty years after it was founded, the museum was separated from the library and moved into the renovated freight depot building next to the railroad tracks. During 2001 the interior of the library was completely renovated and today is poised to offer outstanding programs and services to meet the needs of the citizens of Clarksdale and Coahoma County