Camp Point Public Library
The Camp Point Library was officially organized in 1909 by Mr. and Mrs. H. G. Henry and a few friends "to keep little boys off the streets." The reading room was located over the People's Bank Building. The first meeting of the Library Board was held May 7, 1909. Mr. H.G. Henry was elected the first president, remaining in that position for seven years. In 1909 taxes amounting to about $300 were voted by the Village of Camp Point to operate the library and purchase books.
In 1948 when the People's Bank Building was sold, the library was moved to the brick building at 204 East State. This building was rented from the Bailey Trustees, who built it for the library, until its purchase by the Library Board in 1969.
When that building was unable to provide adequate space, the Camp Point Public Library Trustees, with very generous support from the area, constructed the present building. It was dedicated June 9, 1974.
The Camp Point Library became a Charter Member of the Great River Library System in 1966. Through this association additional services were made available to the community.
Camp Point Public Library is not affiliated with AmericanTowns Media