Along with preserving the history of our local community, The Bridgeport Public Library aspires to provide quality assistance and services so that all patrons, of all ages, remain informed, knowledgeable and entertained in a comfortable and relaxed atmosphere, providing the environment and incentive necessary to foster a life-long love of reading.
The Bridgeport Public Library first opened its doors in 1905 by members of the Bridgeport Women’s Club, donating the library’s very first books. These donated books were housed in a little white building on Bridgeport’s main street.
By 1916, the Women’s Club had 200-300 books on the shelves, relying on volunteers and local monetary donations to keep the services open and available to the public. At one time, the library was actually set up in the restroom lounge of the Morrill County court house.
In 1919, Charles Henry Morrill, for whom the county was named, presented a generous donation of $500 to the Women's Club library project which was put to good use. However, during a temporary suspension of the Women’s Club in the 1920’s, the women were forced to store all the books in barrels in various basements through out the community.
The library books were finally brought out again in July 1922, when the City of Bridgeport acquired management of the library (and the books), governing it under the direction of five board members, Judge Hurd serving as its first chairman. At that time, the library shelved their books in a small residential building until a "reactivated" Women’s Club built a club house in December 1927, renting it to the library board for the public use of the book collection. It remained at that location until the dedication of the present-day building in 1969.