Information on:

Bloomingdale Public Library

3220 Van Horn Street
423-288-1310

In 1962, the second branch of the Sullivan County Library opened in the Bloomingdale area of Kingsport.  The Bloomingdale Ruritan Club felt there was a strong need for an adequate library to enhance educational opportunities in the community.  They began a community service project to make the library a reality.  The Bloomingdale Baptist Church provided a five room house on Bloomingdale Pike free of charge for the library, which was renovated by the Ruritan Club and their Ruritanettes. The Bloomingdale branch opened to the public on March 2, 1962 and for the first year was financed and provided with volunteer staff by the Ruritan Club and the Ruritanettes.  Books were supplied by the Sullivan County Library and the Watauga Regional Library by bookmobile.  The library opened with 500 books available for circulation.  Mrs. Jewel Wade was the first librarian for the Bloomingdale branch.  Other librarians following Mrs. Wade were Omeda Holt, Janice Tipton and Amy Lippo.

In 1967, the Bloomingdale Ruritan Club, aided by the Ruritanettes raised funds through donations and fund raising projects to erect a new brick building at 3230 Van Horn Street in Bloomingdale.  At the time of the dedication on April 29, 1967, there were 2200 registered patrons using the library.  The Dedicatory Address was given by Tennessee's Senator Albert Gore, Sr. and the United States flag was provided by Congressman James H. Quillen.  The Bloomingdale branch is still at this same location with Angela Taylor as the current library manager.

Bloomingdale Public Library is not affiliated with AmericanTowns Media