The mission of the Bloomfield Public Library is to provide and promote open and equal access to the resources and services of the library in order to meet the informational, educational, and cultural needs of the community. The library seeks to encourage reading and the use of current technology for life-long learning and the enhancement of the individual's quality of life.
The Bloomfield Public Library has been serving the community for over seventy years. It all began in 1902, when James Newbegin Jarvie, a prominent Bloomfield businessman, founded the Jarvie Memorial Library at Westminster Presbyterian Church, in memory of his parents. In 1923, he offered the library, it's collection and equipment to the town, along with $60,000. The library did a great deal of moving around until the Board of Trustees purchased the land at 90 Broad Street for $23,000. John F. Capen, a local architect, was commissioned to draw plans for the 17,000 square foot colonial brick building which finally opened to the public in March, 1927.
The library has undergone a great deal of renovation since then. By 1963, the need for more space had become obvious. The year began with intensive planning and a search for funds. Finally, on September 5, 1967, the newly built adult library was opened to the public by The main floor of the original building was re-designated as the Children's Library. The lower level became meeting room and staff areas. The meeting room became a theatre in 1969 and continues to be the site of many musical programs, films, lectures and children's programs sponsored by the library and other groups.
The library has always been recognized for its staff, whose friendly and cooperative spirit has been the hallmark of its dedicated service to the people of Bloomfield. Adapted from the flier for the Bloomfield Public Library's 70th Anniversary Celebration.