The Belpre Public Library current building was opened in 1967, making it the second oldest one in the Washington County Public Library system. However, the library itself dates back to 1795 when the Putnam family opened the first lending library in the Northwest Territory in the Belpre settlement. Though the original building is gone, the current one has a large parking lot in the rear and the building is fully handicapped accessible.
The Belpre Library has over 44,000 items in its collection of books, audio books, movies, music CDs, and magazines. As with all Washington County Public Libraries, the Belpre Library has public access computers with printing capabilities, free wi-fi, a photocopy machine, and offers fax service. The library also has a meeting room available for public use.