History Of The Library
The efforts of the Citizens Library Movement of Beauregard Parish resulted in the Police Jury passing an ordinance establishing a parish public library on July 10, 1945. Ladies of this group collected 25 cent donations from businesses and individuals to fund the initial expenses. Library service began on December 11, 1947, when the Louisiana State Library opened a demonstration library in three rooms of the War Memorial Civic Center.
Merryville Branch opened on December 16, 1947. It has previously been in three different buildings in the town before staying in its present location in the Old Post Office near City Hall
In October 2005, the branch went under renovation to add more shelving, increasing the branch capacity by 60%.