A library room was included in the primary school built in 1919, a room which could be used by the public even when the school was closed.
Bayport Public Library was formally established in 1913. When Bayport School became part of School District #834 in 1958, the library moved to a small space built for library books on the second floor of Village Hall.
In 1960, the Village Council appointed a library board and the library was revitalized. The Council Chambers in the village hall were remodeled for the library, and the Village Library opened in this room April 3, 1961.
Another major improvement came in the early 1970’s when the vacated post office was completely remodeled and expanded for library use. The library moved into this attractive, modern library facility on North Third Street in 1973.
In February of 1990, the Bayport Library moved to the former White Pine Inn. The building was completely remodeled and transformed into a state-of-the-art library on the main floor with meeting rooms upstairs. The growth of the Bayport Public Library over the years reflects how vital library services are to the community.