Mission Statement: The Barberton Public Library will promote independent thought and community interaction by providing services and resources necessary for individuals to pursue educational, creative, personal, and professional interests.
The Barberton Public Library first opened its doors April 7, 1903. At the time, Barberton was little more than a decade old, but residents already recognized the need for a public library in their new town. A committee of local women championed the cause, securing $1,500 in donations to help fund the project. The Library, originally known as Barber Public Library, first operated out of a rented space in the Whigam-Schubert Block at the corner of Tuscarawas Ave. and Fourth St. Town founder O.C. Barber supplied 2,400 volumes for the collection, and an additional 1,000 titles were donated or purchased with funds from residents.
Today, the Barberton Public Library houses a dynamic collection of more than 160,000 items locally and offers access to more than ten million items through membership in the Clevnet consortium. The Library offers weekly programs for children, families, teens and adults. Through a partnership with Summa Barberton Hospital, the Library also provides access to a wide range of consumer health information at a branch located on the first floor of the hospital. Library users visit their hometown library more than a quarter of a million times each year, and Barberton Public Library remains an important resource enjoyed by the people of Barberton for over 100 years.