The genesis of the Aurora Memorial Library goes back to 1947, when a group of parents conceived a memorial to nine boys who died in WW II. Several lots were purchased at a sheriff's sale, and a boulder and cannon were placed there to honor the war dead.
In 1964, the idea of a library on the property was proposed and funds were donated by a local family. The original library, dedicated to the memory of George Byron Chapman, opened in 1966.
In May 1968, the East Wing was built with money donated by Kitty Riley Wheeler and provided the first home for the Aurora Historical Society Museum. In 1971, the Chapman family donated a Performing Arts Center.
Finally in 1991, public tax money was used for the first time to expand the library. A levy was passed and the building doubled in size. The museum and theatre benefited from the expansion as well.
In April 2010, the Library Express delivery service program arrived at the site (located near the branch's book return.)