The Ashville Free Library's primary function is as a popular materials library and a community center, with a primary focus on supporting the information access needs of our youth and students.
The Ashville Free Library is very proud and grateful to all its many volunteers who give unselfishly each week to keep our facility open. Without these dedicated people, we could not be open the hours that we are nor could we offerthe community the services that we do.
History Of The Ashville Free Library
The idea of establishing a community library had its origin in the Mother's Club of the village in 1912. Under the leadership of Mrs. Josephine G. Loomis, books were regularly obtained from the Department of Education of the State of New York and and made available to many interested people. Thus, the traveling library was born.
Then the Social Progressive Club. under the direction of Mrs. Grace Ramsey, introduced the subject of establishing a village library at one of its meetings in the summer of 1913. As a result, Mrs. Elizabeth Bemus, librarian at Bemus Point, was invited to a special meeting at the home of Dr. and Mrs. Elmer Powers to discuss the matter.