The Ashland Town Library was established in 1871 by a vote at the town meeting. Ashland’s is the oldest public library in the four northern counties of New Hampshire. The library consisted of about 500 volumes when it first opened to the public in Col. Thomas P. Cheney’s home on Highland Street.
Today the Ashland Town Library houses a collection of over 20,000 volumes in a variety of formats. The library is open 25 hours a week and is a part of the New Hampshire Inter-Library Loan System. The Ashland Town Library has four computers with access to the Internet available for public use. The library offers a wide variety of programs for all ages and is fortunate to have an active “Friends of the Library” group of volunteers.