The Arthur Public Library District will offer a professionally selected and well-organized collection of books and other materials. The collection shall meet the educational, recreational, informational, and cultural needs of the Arthur community. Special emphasis will be placed on popular titles; books and special programs, which stimulate young children's interest; and opportunities for life long learning for all residents of the district. Access to the collection will be assured through a well-trained and courteous staff and adequate facility.
The library shall endeavor to cooperate with all relevant local, state and federal agencies and shall keep abreast of changing library technology and practice.
All of the above shall be done in a fiscally responsible manner.
The Arthur Public Library will remain a vital contributor to the cultural and educational success of the District, serving the community with a wide array of materials, educational and cultural experiences.
The Arthur Library was established in 1900 when the population of the town was 850. Forty Arthur residents donated $10.00 each to buy books for the use of the residents of Arthur. The books were placed in Homrighouse's Jewelry Store. In 1907 the residents voted to build a library on Vine Street. Construction was completed the following year. Improvements were made in 1953 and an addition built in 1973. Having out-grown the facility, an effort began in 1989 to construct a new building. With the aid of a $208,000 state construction grant, a new building was completed in 1991. The new facility has approximately 5,000 square feet, is completely handicapped accessible, and has allowances for expanding services both now and in the future.