The Artesia Public Library is one of the pioneer outlets of the County of Los Angeles Public Library, having been established in June 1913, as the 13th branch of the newly founded system. The library was established largely as a result of the activities of Mr. C. L. Edgerton, principal of the Artesia School and chairman of a committee which had organized the Young People's Society of Artesia.
The first librarian, Mrs. Della M. Brooker, served voluntarily without pay the first year because County policy at that time required the local community to provide all of the services except for the books which the Library supplied. At the end of the year, the County Library assumed all expenses.
The library has had various locations; a store building, the Women's Clubhouse, and was located from 1929 to 1937 in a building constructed for library use on a lease basis. In 1937 the library was housed in a building on Pioneer Boulevard, remaining there until completion of the new community center in Artesia Park in 1963. In May 2000, the library was refurbished with the support of Supervisor Don Knabe, Supervisor Fourth District, Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors.