Alamitos Neighborhood Library
In 1895 a group of women formed the Alamitos Library Association. Jotham Bixby Sr. donated this land in 1897 and funds were raised to construct the first library building. In 1909 the City of Long Beach annexed this area. In 1920 the Alamitos Library Association deeded this property to the City with the understanding that the City would maintain the library. By 1928 the building had become inadequate and the collection was moved to a rented building while the current library was constructed. This building, a replica of a castle in Spain, with beautiful wrought iron railings, decorated beams, and a patio with an art tile fountain, opened in January 1929. On March 10, 1933, a major earthquake damaged the building. At first, service was resumed in the yard. In 1936 the building was closed for repairs. It reopened again in 1938. In 1997, the Alamitos Branch Library celebrated 100 years of service to the community. The Alamitos Neighborhood Library is named after the community it serves, Alamitos Heights.
Alamitos Neighborhood Library is not affiliated with AmericanTowns Media