History of the library:
The Adrian Public Library traces its beginnings to the formation of the Ladies Library Association in 1868. In 1887 a movement was started to join the 5000 volumes of the school district library, located on the third floor of the high school, with the Ladies Library Association collection. The ladies offered to the School Board their books and a building worth $1,150. In exchange, they asked that the new library be located on the first floor. After much debate, the City Council voted to lease a room on the first floor of City Hall for library use. The library opened in City Hall on January 5, 1890. Miss Margaret Jewell was chosen to be the first paid librarian.
In 1915, the library changed from a school district library to a city library with its own library commission. With the new city charter in 1957, the library became a department of the city and the commission was eliminated. The library continued to grow and change with Miss Agnes Jewell becoming librarian in 1933 and Miss Emma Sihler taking over the helm in 1951.
In 1972 Jule Fosbender took over as Director, and in 1976 the need for space had to be faced once again. The decision was made to purchase the closed J.C. Penney store on East Maumee Street using invested funds. On June 12,1978, the Adrian Public Library opened in its new home.
In 1987 the Bank of Lenawee gave the City the property directly behind the library to be developed into a park, which is now called Library Square. Funding for the park was from the Fee Estate.
In 1990 more space was obtained inside the library when a matching grant was received from LSCA to renovate the lower level of the library into storage area and a meeting/gallery room.