Adelia M. Russell Library
It is the mission of the Adelia M. Russell Library to assure excellent library services to meet the personal and educational needs of all residents of this community.
Alexander City is located in east central Alabama approximately 70 miles southeast of Birmingham and 50 miles northeast of Montgomery. Our city is the "Gateway to Lake Martin." The libraries are located one block from the main business section of the downtown area with adequate parking space.
The first community library was organized by the Tuesday Study Club in June, 1921, and was located in the Masonic Building. In November, 1942, the City founded the Alexander City Public Library and moved it to a room in the courthouse. It was later expanded to a second, then a third room. As the library grew, a larger facility of its own was indicated.
In 1959 actual plans began for a small, modest building; however, a study by the newly appointed Library Board recognized the need for a larger building and better facilities.
After six years of support and fundraising by interested individuals and groups, a three-level structure became a reality. On June 2, 1965, the new library was opened to the public and named in honor of Adelia McConnell Russell, who was an influential benefactor of this library.
When the library first opened, only one floor was utilized as the library proper and after many years of changes, three floors are now fully operational and automated containing all adult material. The main floor contains the genealogy room and reference materials.
The third floor contains books to be checked out which include fiction and non-fiction. The ground floor houses all media materials and patron-use computers.
After all the years of use and change, the building itself is as pleasing and attractive as ever. The tradition of the library still exemplifies a quiet and spacious atmosphere in which to learn.
Adelia M. Russell Library is not affiliated with AmericanTowns Media